WELCOME TO THE HENRY THE HAND FOUNDATION!
Our mission: Training students and adults simple effective hand hygiene behaviors to prevent infectious disease illness benefiting personal health and wellness by teaching the 4 Principles of Hand Awareness*.
We are a non-profit foundation founded in 2001 by Dr. William Sawyer who identified a need to train the individual in personal protective hand hygiene behaviors to benefit health. We developed a simple science based multi-media and multi-sensory hand hygiene behavior modification program teaching hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette (correct coughing and sneezing habits) and cross contamination awareness: not touching your eyes, nose, or mouth (T Zone). Our Infection Prevention Program comes in a Tool Kit utilizing effective reinforcement tools and strategies to teach both children and adults the 4 Principles of Hand Awareness. Dr Sawyer understood that if you do not train the adults, the children will never model these behaviors. By adopting our Infection Prevention Program in early childhood centers, preschools, and schools you will train young children and students to become lifelong practitioners of these important life skills that will help reduce respiratory and gastro-intestinal infections.
The 4 Principles of Hand Awareness:
1. Wash your hands when they are dirty and before eating.
2. DO NOT cough into your hands.
3. DO NOT sneeze into your hands.
4. Above all, DO NOT put your fingers into your eyes, nose, or mouth.
*The 4 Principles of Hand Awareness are endorsed by the American Medical Association and American Academy of Family Physicians.
SARS CoV-2 has taught us that it is more important than ever to be more intentional about our effort to teach these hand hygiene personal protective behaviors.
Adopt a School Program
Schools need access to a program that teaches students how to stay healthy- sponsor a school today!
Health Shields VS Face Masks
Health Shields as a tool for changing hand habits AND infection prevention!
Please share Dr. Will's Coronavirus Prevention Tips video to help prevent the second wave!
Click here to watch the video in Spanish!
Our Most Effective Products
Check out our most popular products including health shields, tool kits, nailbrushes and bookmarks!
Dr. William Sawyer — Founder
About Dr. Will
- Founder of Henry the Hand Foundation: Hand hygiene awareness advocate as seen in The New York Times and Washington Post
- 33 years as a Solo Practice Family Medicine Doctor teaching, coaching, and changing patients' behavior to benefit their health.
- Clean Hand Coalition, Co-founder of a CDC and Prevention coalition: 2003-Present
- Cincinnati Red Cross H1N1 Pandemic Program Sept 9, 2009
- Interventions to Prevent Influenza and Influenza Like Infections in the Retail Clinic Setting, RCEC 2013
Business Emergency Planning Association February 2, 2012
- Hand Awareness presentations: Non Pharmaceutical Approach to Prevent Human Illness and Transmission of Emerging Pathogens presentations; NEHA 2006, NAHEC 2006 and USDA Food Safety Conference, 2006.
- Human Factor Engineering and Positive Deviance Strategy to Reduce HAI: Summit, May 2007
Teaching the 4 Principles of Hand Awareness.
Spread the word not the germs!